Random Acts of Kindness

Random Acts of Kindness Week 2016 is Feb. 14-20.
We will be doing some Kindness Projects. Please keep a look out of notes being sent home.
Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sorting activities

This month we are focusing on Authors and Illustrators.  When I read a story to the class I always tell them who wrote the story (the author) and who drew the pictures (illustrator).  This week while reading some of the Mercer Mayer books (Little Critter) I tried to find activities that went with the ideas in the books and teach them more about illustrating the books.  For the book Just a Mess I decided it would be a good idea to explore sorting things.  As we read the book we talked about how much easier it would be for the Critter to find his toys if they were sorted out.
I decided that egg cartons would make great sorting boxes.  My first thoughts were to paint the egg cups different colors, paint a shape in each one, and put numbers in the bottom.  Then I would find objects of different colors and shapes to sort into the boxes.  I debated for quite a while how to best design it.  The night before the activity I still wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do.  I found a variety of objects in our cupboards and in dollar bins at stores. Suddenly it occurred to me. I was making it too complicated--too teacher directed.  I gathered all the things I could find.  I showed the kids some buttons. We talked about the colors and shapes and sizes. Then we sorted them in various ways.  The children were sent to the table with their sorting box (egg carton) and a bag of items.   After sorting their bag, some of the children traded bags to try something different. 
Sorting buttons
Sorting Hair ties
Marker lids
Sorting rings
Sorting shape buttons

We also sorted small spools of thread, Christmas themed erasers, and hair clips.  The children have already asked to do this activity again.

No comments:

Post a Comment